In honor of Pitbull’s 34th birthday today, here are 10 things you probably never knew about the singer.
1. His real name is Armando Christian Pérez.
2. The 305 he mentions in all his songs stands for the area code in Miami-Dade County, Florida, where the rapper was born.
3. His parents are Cuban and when he was small they made him memorize and recite poems by Cuban poet José Martí.
4. Pitbull was the host of his own Spanish-language program on the cable channel Mun2 titled La Esquina.
5. He iѕ thе proud father оf four children. Barbara Alba is the mother of two of his children, one being a thirteen-year-old daughter.
6. He wants to be the next J.Lo. After selling over 7.5 million singles worldwide, Pitbull is ready to build an empire. He told Latina exclusively, “I’m not here to exploit our culture – I’m here to empower it, and I want to build a brand like Jennifer Lopez.” All we have to say is, dale!
7. Growing up he wanted to be basketball player.
8. In 2010, Pitbull canceled a concert in Arizona to protest the anti-immigrations laws.
9. Lindsay Lohan tried to sue him over the lyrics in his song with Ne-Yo, ‘Give me Everything.’
10. His stage name has meaning. “(Pitbulls) bite to lock,” the book quotes him as saying. “The dog is too stupid to lose. And they’re outlawed in Dade County (Florida). They’re basically everything that I am. It’s been a constant fight,” he said in his biography “Pitbull: Mr. Worldwide.”
Celebrate Pitbull’s birthday by listening to his latest hit, “Fireball.”