After years of thinking that fat was the culprit behind America’s obesity epidemic, scientists found that sugar in all its forms is the root cause. The average American consumes about 152 pounds of sugar a year. That’s roughly 22 teaspoons every day for every person in America. Interestingly enough, sugar is eight times as addictive as cocaine.
Among the benefits of removing sugar from your diet are instant weightloss (you can lose between 10-15 lbs in two weeks without exercise!), headaches and fatigue will be drastically reduced, less mood swings, clearer mental state, and overall less sugar cravings.
Ver más: How to curb sugar cravings
If you’re thinking of detoxing your body from sugar, here are some tips for a ten-day sugar detox diet to help you stick to it and see fast results. You’re just 10 days aways from feeling more energetic, alert, and 5 lbs lighter!
1. Just do it. The best way to eliminate sugar from your diet is to do it cold turkey. Don’t over think it. Eliminate all foods in your pantry with hidden sugars such as tomato sauces, nut butters, and ketchup. Anything that comes in a bag or pack is off limits.
2. Drink. But don’t think you can substitute your sugar cravings with a margarita. In fact, you should avoid alcohol at all costs for 10 days. Alcohol is the biggest source of sugar calories in our diet. And of course, avoid sugary drinks such as soda (one 20 oz. can contains 15 teaspoons of sugar). Instead, stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, unsweetened teas, and coffee. It will also help you stay full and crave less sugar.
3. Snack. You will likely experience emergency moments when your blood sugar drops and you will want to reach for the nearest candy bar. Don’t. Keep your sugar cravings under control by packing sugar-free snacks in your bag such as raw almonds, pumpkin seeds, salmon jerky or turkey jerky, and fruits that are low in sugar such as strawberries and blueberries.
4. Eat carbs. When detoxing from sugar, it’s good to eat all the carbs you want. However, there is a catch. You should eat the good kind of carbs. Did you know that vegetables are carbohydrates? Stock up on non-starchy veggies such as greens, the broccoli family (cauliflower, kale, collards, etc.), asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, fennel, eggplant, artichokes, peppers, etc. What’s out are potatoes, sweet potatoes, winter squash and beets — just for 10 days. To supercharge your results, skip beans and grains for 10 days.
5. Rest. Sleep is the best way to fight against the urge to overeat. Allowing your body to rest helps you reset your energy levels, so your body isn’t begging your for sugary foods to keep it from feeling fatigued. By getting enough sleep, you can literally sleep through your cravings and lose weight fast!