In honor of Shakira’s 38th birthday, here are 12 facts about the Colombian superstar we bet you never knew!
Related: Shakira Gives Birth To Baby Boy!
1. Shakira is Arabic for “grateful” or “full of grace.” Her full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll.
4. Pies Descalzos was her third album, which catapulted her to fame in Latin America.
7. Her Lebanese grandmother taught her how to belly dance.
8. Her fourth studio album, “Dónde Están los Ladrones?“, produced entirely by Shakira herself and Emilio Estefan, Jr. as the executive producer, was released in September 1998. The album was inspired by an incident in an airport in which a suitcase full of her written lyrics was stolen.
9. Steven Spielberg offered her a part in his film ‘The Mask of Zorro’ in 1998. However, she felt unable to accept, as she believed her English wasn’t good enough. The role went to Catherine Zeta Jones.
11. In 2010 she was awarded a medal by the U.N. International Labor Organization for her work with children. Even more impressive, Shakira has been funding schools with her own money.
Related: Shakira And Gerard Piqué Invite Fans To Join Their ‘World Baby Shower’
12. She has 28 Billboard Latin Music Awards, amongst so many other awards…28!!!