Wait! Before you move in with your partner, there are a few things you need to know.
Moving in with your lover is not the same as moving in with your best girl friend. Sure, you love them enough to want to spend every waking moment with them and to discover their rather unattractive secrets, but you should really think it through before taking such a huge step. Below are seven tips to consider before signing that lease.
1. Money talks. Most people don’t like to talk about money and avoid it at all costs. But when it comes to making huge life-changing decisions, having an honest conversation about finances should be on the top of your pre-move-in priority list. How is rent going to be divided? Will you split it equally? What if one of you makes more money? What about the bills? It’s not as fun as kissing, but talk with your partner and find out what the best solution is for both of you.
2. Set some ground rules. Nobody wants to be that girl who makes rules, but it is important to set some together as a team. It may seem trivial and unnecessary, but it’ll help you both avoid any confusions and frustrations later on. Setting clear ground rules before making the decision to move in together can help both of you talk about your expectations without any arguments. Unless you make rules, there’s no way to tell why the frustrations began in the first place.
3. Stop being so controlling. In the same breath, you will have to give up your habit of being a control freak. Be prepared to see his ugly side. Sometimes, he will leave the toilet seat up. Sometimes, he will leave the lights on in rooms that no one is using. Or he will yell when he talks on the phone in the same room as you. Also, he might never wash his dishes after he’s done eating. He’s not trying to purposely annoy you, he’s just being himself. But at the end of the day, you have to decide whether you want to make it work or you want to be Mrs. Right all the time. Just let it go!
4. Remember to have a life. Having a life of your own is not only necessary, it’s healthy — for you and for him. Staying in together on weekends and enjoying a meal and a movie at home will be tempting. But you want to maintain your own “me” time. And the only way to do so is to spend time outside of your little nest of a home every once in a while. Make sure to maintain your own things like friendships, hobbies and exercise routines—all the things that make you, you. Going on dates together outside of the house is also really important; it puts you in a more romantic headspace of adventure and spontaneity.
5. Follow Your Gut. Moving in with your partner is a big deal and it’s not a decision that should be decided on a whim. The most important thing to remember when making a big decision is that no one knows better about what’s best for you, than yourself. If you feel pressured by your parents, friends, the media and even your boyfriend to move in together, go with your instincts. On the other hand, you could fall in love with someone instantly and take a chance. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s YOUR decision. We all make mistakes in life, but at least we should make them our own.
Good luck, chicas! What do you think are the most important things to consider before moving in?